Cancer Aid & Research
Providing grants to members with cancer, helping in the educational effort to make the public aware of the importance of early detection, and supporting research throughout the country are the activities involved in this program.
There are three goals in this program:
· Education – creating an awareness of the importance of early detection and treatment as a major way to eliminate cancer.
· Research – providing funding to promising cancer research throughout the U.S.
· Assistance to members who have cancer – providing small financial grants.
The Cancer Research Fund was begun by National President Dorothy Mann in 1947 as an instrument to fund cancer research. However, it was first used to help rebuild the Jackson Laboratory in Bar Harbor, Maine, after it was destroyed by fire.
The Ladies Auxiliary donated $60,000.
In 1952 the program was expanded to include grants to Ladies Auxiliary members who were ill with cancer, and the program was renamed Cancer Aid & Research.
In November 1955 Cancer Chairman Hazel Miller introduced the concept of giving memorial contributions to the fund in lieu of flowers.
In 1972 the first postdoctoral cancer research fellowship was awarded in the amount of $10,000 to the Jackson Laboratory. This year, two $50,000 fellowships will be awarded. In 2007, we will award one two-year $100,000 fellowship.
As of March 18, 2004, Junior Girls were included in the Cancer Aid & Research Program allowing one grant during her continuous membership in the Unit.
· 2006-2007 National Program Book
· American Cancer Society: www.cancer.org
· Call at 1-800-ACS-2345 to request educational materials and speakers
· Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation, www.komen.org (check the link for interactive tools under "About Breast Cancer
§ September – Prostate and Ovarian Cancer Awareness
§ October – National Breast Cancer Awareness Month
§ November – Lung Cancer Awareness Month
§ March – CDS Colorectal Cancer Awareness
§ May – Melanoma Awareness
August – Special Memorial wreaths at National Convention